Having spent 29 years in the wedding business, we’ve seen a lot of trends come and go. We don’t often stick our noses into wedding decor, but thought the recent trend for rustic weddings was worth highlighting.
Why? Rustic weddings seem to make people happy. Dialing down the formality relaxes everyone, and the fact that rustic weddings tend to be quite personal and unique makes your big day feel extra special.
Rustic weddings are also great for couples on a budget; you can create a completely gorgeous atmosphere without spending a fortune. Check out these ideas for making your big day one to remember (and help save your budget for the perfect professional DJ!).
Upcycle common items to create a unique experience
Your DIY wedding projects don’t have to turn into a “Pinterest fail.” One of the great things about rustic weddings is that you can keep it simple while staying true to your design.
- From table settings to party favors, mason jars are a central part in many rustic weddings. There are plenty of ways to incorporate them into your wedding, but this list will point you in the right direction.
- Burlap is another inexpensive and flexible material that, when well-used, will add texture and beauty to your wedding.
- Thrift store mavens rejoice: mismatched plates and glasses will make every place setting unique and delight your guests.
- Cake, gifts, party favors, guestbooks: weddings require plenty of surfaces to run smoothly. Rustic planks of salvaged wood can make evocative tables. Wine barrels are another great choice for unique surfaces with a rustic vibe; they’ll add a hint of sophistication in addition to being useful.
Little touches can make the biggest difference
Start small, and you may be surprised how simple accents can bring your wedding to life.
- There are so many options for romantic lighting that really set the mood and give your wedding a rustic feel. Create the perfect ambiance with old fashioned Edison bulbs or a sweet DIY chandelier.
- After you say “I do,” it’s time to celebrate! Even if you don’t hire a bartender, you can still serve your drinks in ways that are stylish and perfectly suited to a rustic wedding. Here are some unique container ideas to get you started.
Keep your theme cohesive with rustic crafts
Rustic signage, announcements, and invitations can be a fun DIY project that yields gorgeous results.
- You set the tone for your big day as soon as your invitations go out. If you think you might create your own invitations, find inspiration with these great ideas. If you’d rather leave it to the professionals but still want the hand-made look, check out some of the amazing artists on Etsy.
- Looking for the perfect signs? DIY chalkboard designs and old shipping pallets, are just a few options that will complement your rustic theme.
What are some of your favorite ideas for the perfect rustic wedding? Let us know in the comment section.